- Back to Courses
- Assignment Related Training
- Course content
- Dictionary Making Objectives
- Literacy Objectives
- Language Study Skills Objectives
- Scripture Use Objectives
- Language Survey Objectives
Course dates and fees — Click below
Assignment Related Training
Purpose and Prerequisites
This course (taken with the preceding LACA course) is designed to give the necessary training for those taking up a mentored internship field assignment with SIL. This initial assignment would be up to two years duration and may be undertaken as the first phase of a longer term involvement.
It is envisaged that the main characteristics of such an assignment include (but are not limited to):
- 18-24 months duration under supervision
- Language and culture learning
- Participation in 'on the job training'
- Definition of further learning objectives (i.e. post-assignment training if desired).
Assignment Related Training aims to equip participants with the knowledge, skills and attitudes they require to contribute to such a field language project and our hope is that by the end of the course, participants will have accomplished some work in all target areas and have developed the confidence to embark competently on the adventure of field work.
Participants are normally required to:
- Have taken the Language and Culture Acquisition course or an equivalent
- Opt for one of the training tracks below.
Each is comprised of a unique core component plus a number of shared components that are common to each track. Further details may be found under course content.
- Language Study Skills
- Scripture Use
- Language Survey
- Dictionary Making